The Progression Preamplifier adds new features previously not included in a D’Agostino preamplifier. Most noticeably, the Progression Preamplifier features an optional digital module. The digital module adds coaxial, Toslink, and USB capability to the analog base model. A fully differential DAC handles PCM signals up to 24 bit/384 kHz and DSD signals up to 4x DSD (11.2 MHz). This digital module feeds a discrete, fully complementary and balanced analog signal path from input to output. Negative feedback is not used anywhere in the Progression Preamplifier, nor is it necessary. Open-loop distortion is less than < 0.006% and the open loop bandwidth extends to over 100 kHz.
Also new is the Bluetooth technology featured in the included remote control. The Bluetooth backbone extends the range of the remote by a factor of five and eliminates line of sight limitations that are inherent in IR remote controls.
The volume control is realized with a stepped balanced resistor ladder, using high-linearity solid-state relays and discrete precision resistors.
The bandwidth and transient response of the preamplifier circuitry are unaffected by volume setting. The Progression Preamplifier has two independent outputs that can be individually operated or used simultaneously for driving a second amplifier in a subwoofer based system.
Housed in a separate chassis, the power supply makes use of extensive electrical and magnetic shielding to keep radiated interference away from critical preamplifier circuits. Internal circuitry filters RF noise on the AC power, and compensates for asymmetric power waveforms and DC on the mains. A second DC output is included to power future Progression source components.
Two analog meters, inspired by Swiss watch faces, function as VU meters during music playback. When volume is adjusted, the meter needles change to volume setting indicators. After adjustments are made, the meters revert back to VU meter operation. The meters also function as balance indicators when adjusting balance.
- Finish: In silver or black, other finish on request
- Frequency response: 0.1 Hz bis 1 MHz, -3 dB
- Frequency response: 20 Hz bis 80 kHz, ±0,5 dB
- Distortion: < 0.018% THD+N (20 Hz to 20 kHz)
- Signal-to-noise ratio: > 95 dB, unweighted
- Gain: +9.8 dB or +15.4 dB, switchable
- Power consumption in standby: < 40 watt
- Inputs: 4 balanced XLR and 2 single-ended RCA
- Digital Inputs (DAC module installed) 1 coaxial S/PDIF, 1 USB type A,
- 1 optical Toslink
- Outputs: 2 balanced XLR
- Control: RS-232, 2x 12-volt trigger outputs
- Dimensions (height x width x depth): 18.3 x 45 x 30 cm
- Weight: 18 kg